Saturday, March 14, 2009

CMW Continues

I made it out to Lee's Palace tonight, once again with he lovely Ariane Klassen and Chris White - the place was at capacity very early on in the night. I arrived just after 9:00 and had to stand in line for quite some time. Three girls behind me sung Joanna Newsom while the folks in front of me discussed how long the line was. Gar... my sense couldn't handle it.
Anyways, what I saw of the show was great! Unfortunately, I missed John Rae Fletcher, but caught Herman Dune, Basia Bulat and Elliott BROOD.
Tonight was my first intro to Herman Dune, but I quite impressed. I'm not sure if this is just me being crazy, but the duo's performance reminded me of Jens Lekman's show in KL. I'm not sure what it is -- maybe the way he would tell stories that led smoothly into song? In any case, the music was quite of a different sort than Lekman's. Anyways, I definitely recommend checking them out. Their newest album is Next Year in Zion.
Basia Bulat was very impressive, and the crowd loved her despite any technical problems that arose. I particularly fancied her last number Snakes and Ladders.
Tonight was also my first run in with Eliott BROOD (finally!) - they played a great set to a full house. They started with a very a dark and captivating song that definitely got people into it. Things got taken up a notch when they gave out various pans and kitchen appliances for banging. All in all, great times! I think its bedtime for this guy - L8tz








No comments: