Sunday, November 23, 2008

Caring is Daunting

So, I'm back at Coffee Bean, sipping on a hot chocolate (this one is christmas themed, but the only difference i can spot is the addition of small marshmellows), drowning out noise with my ipod and thinking about the days to come. I'm an ambitious boy for these next few weeks. Like strangely really ambitious - which is kind of frightening considering I did nothing today except eat, lounge, skype and be really comfy (if not a little uncomfortably full for awhile).

Jose and I did an all you can eat lunch today at this Indian place in the basement of Starhill Mall. I would LOVE to go on about how ridiculous Starhill Mall is (in particular the basement), but I think that is for another entry. In any case, the all you can eat kebab lunch was RM 55++, and consisted of various meats, naan, daal and drinks. Beer was included, so I had several in an attempt to make sure I got my moneys worth. Strangely, the best part of the meal was the complementary curry dish they gave us. It was amazing, and I'm not sure what it was. It was a curry chicken, but had a Kourma-esque taste to it. Hmm... I suppose I'll never know. Anyways, the result of that lunch was me sprawling on my bed in lazy content for the next like 7 hours. Well, I wasn't sprawled the whole time... among other things was a long Pokemon Emerald Green Session using an emulator on my computer. It's weird... I know.

Anyways, so as I mentioned above, I'm an ambitious kid right now, and my schedule is looking a little daunting. Here's some of what I've got going on for the next three weeks:
  • Final paper for my "virtual worlds" directed readings course. The topic is Activism through virtual world technology, specifically Second Life. I've got the paper pretty well planned out - but I have a craaaazy amount of work to do if I want to make it half as good as I ... want ... it ... to ... be (awkward sentence?). I'm choosing to do it about advocacy because I feel it really sums up my life right now - it gives me the chance to discuss the theory I've gone over so far for the course, while going into detail about the educational potential of virtual worlds and the notion of virtual world art (and how these apply to activism and advocacy). I hope to do a long case study section that looks at existing NGOs in Second Life, as well as RL NGOs that could use virtual world technology to their advantage. hmmm... for the latter I'm planning on talking to Take Back the Tech in Malaysia - an NGO focused on ending gender-based violence against women through the use of ICTs.
  • Read and summarize about 20 civil court cases for CIJ.
  • Fly to Bali on Friday and learn how to surf in three days.
  • Help Amnesty International Malaysia in their events leading up to the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Interestingly enough, this will involve putting up posters in the Annexe Art Gallery at Central Market. Weirdly full circle, no?
  • Spend some time with some women's organizations during the 16 Days of Activism (Nov 25- Dec 10) with CIJ
Hehe... so much to do. Maybe today was good... you know- to get spending a day eating, lying around, playing pokemon and drinking hot chocolate out of my system before buckling down to the tasks at hand... maybe?
Anyways, I'm not complaining or anything - I'm really quite excited to do all of this. It should be excellent! That is... as long as I don't spend many more days doing hedonistically delicious things :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

23 days :)

ariane said...

holy carp aweird. (WOAH... fateful typo's? I'm leaving them) That's lots. But sounds like you're getting lots of experience at... doing.... media stuff.