Saturday, October 11, 2008

Andrew Learns Malay... ish

I'm sitting in one of my favorite wifi-tiefing spots -- the second floor hallway that leads to the pool of my apartment. Unfortunately, a few feet ahead of me, it is pouring, torrential style. To pass the time, I've been looking up directions to the Kampung Baru night market in one of KL's oldest residential districts... somewhere to go tonight if the rain stops? I'm eager to take more pictures with my new toy. And the rain seems to have just stopped. Argh. Malaysian downpours... so fickle.
Anyways, so here are a few useful Malay phrases/terms I've come across in my travels.
  1. Andrew suka makan: Andrew likes food
  2. Kopi Bing, take away: a bag filled with ice, home brewed coffee, lots of milk and lots of sugar. Not to be confused with Iced Nescafé, which is the same thing, only well with nescafé. Usually goes for RM 1.60 (ie 50 ish cents)
  3. Nasi Goreng: Fried Rice
  4. Ayam: Chicken. Can be combined with Nasi Goreng (as in Ayam Nasi Goreng) for tasty family fun.
  5. Mee: Noodles
  6. Lah: Eh. Used for any and every sentence.
  7. Bodoh: Stupid
  8. Terima Kasih: Thank You
  9. Selamat Datang: Welcome
  10. Blur: Out of it... just generally "blur." I'd equate it with the Andrewslang "Blah"
  11. Chun: Coool


Kopi Bing... hanging from a nail

No comments: