Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hunting For Durian Photos

This past week has been crazy busy. Me and José have been adventuring around like it was nobody's business. Here are some of the pics from Saturday - we spent the day at an Iban longhouse community about 2-3 hours outside of Kuching. We were invited by the owner of our hotel, the Transit Point, to witness Durian season in full effect. It was turned out to be ana amazing experience, even if I did eat too much Durian for my own good. The community was in Baong, and required a hefty adventure off the main road. Upon arrival, we quickly made out way into the jungle. It was about this time that I began to realize that sandals are probably not advisable jungle wear... after about 10 minutes of sliding around the mud in them, I came to terms with the fact that I needed to get a little more muddy if I wanted to avoid getting much much mor muddy. So the following pictures chronical our adventures into the jungle as we met some of the farmers, ate some ... interesting smelling fruit, swam in a river and watched an old old man climb a 200+ ft tree.









5 comments:

Kirt said...

Hi my name is kirt and I would like to know do Durian really smell as bad as people say and does it really have a really foul taste to it.

Kirt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aweir22 said...

Hi Kirt - yes the smell is intense. The odour itself is actually coming from the skin, so it will be smelled from a 15 foot radius even before you open it. Actually, the smell is so intense that the fruit has been banned in certain places... like the Singapore transit system. Upon trying Durian for the first time I found that I was so prepared for something brutal that it was really quite... pleasant. That having been said though, the taste seems to defy explanation. The closest thing I can compare it to would be to custard with a faint yet salty melon taste.
Also, there are many many different species, and many different tastes. I tried so many in one day that I probably won't have another for a long time. According to some of the people at the longhouse community, the tastiest Durians have the strongest smell. Hmmm... Another man described Durian as the "fruit that smells like hell and tastes like heaven"

ariane said...

wowowwwwwww. It may smell but it looks incredible.

Nadine said...

Amazing photos... looks like quite the adventure you're having :)