Friday, October 24, 2008

City of Cats - AKA Land of the HornbillZ

Today is day two of CIJ's ICT Training crash course in Kuching, Sarawak (OR day three of my cold). The session is aimed at indigenous groups from across Malaysia- there about 20 people here, some from the Penninsula, others from Sarawak, and a few from Sahbah. It's only a two day affair, but I gather it's been really well organized - some really useful information, laid out in a sequence that really makes sense. Gaya, Shawn and Jen (the latter two are from Kuching) have discussed/taught: writing presses releases, formal e-mails, using Skype and Youtube, and Blogging. The majority of the presentation has been in Malay, so I havn't been of TOO much help - but I've flashed some smiles and those make the world go round.
Kuching translates into cat. While Jose and I are here (Apsara and Zac are heading back to KL with Gaya tomorrow) I plan to get the most out of my inner feline, whatever that means. I'm really excited about the next few days - this morning, Jose and I were invited by our driver to hang out at a longhouse community and eat Durians tomorrow (a waterfall fits in there somewhere as well). On Sunday, hopefully the weather will be decent enough to allow us a day wandering through te trails in Bako Park. And you know what that means.. proboscis monkeys!!
Anyways, here are some photos from CIJ's Sarawak adventures thus far:









P.S. I'm now addicted to Malaysian pulled tea. It is to tea what a Tim Horton's Double Double is to legit coffee.

No comments: