Jose and I found are way to the Gallery Hotel by around 9am on friday. The place looked quite nice from the outside, but alas our room wasn't ready, so it was a little while before we really saw the inside. But, we were able to store our bags inside while we wandered around in search of some breakfast (remember, I had had only a big mac meal in the past 12 hours). We found a western style place around the corner serving standard breakfast, so I munched on some fancy french toast. We wandered down to Clarke Quay, drawn by the amorphous canopy above it. Honestly, what I noticed most in the walk around was the extent of amorphous colourful plastic shapes around town. There was no end to yellow, green and red blobby plastic shapes! Clarke Quay proved to be very interesting: a covered district with giant fans systems that resemble magnified versions of the statue that Malcolm McDowell uses in Clockwork Orange to kill the cat lady.
I must say, the area is very well planned -- It consists of a number of restaurants and shops by day, and becomes a very lively (though expensive) club district by night. There's even an area dedicated to queuing up for taxis. Anyways, after sauntering around here, we returned to the room, and I had a much needed shower. Scarffing down a Big Mac meal for dinner and then getting only a few hours sleep in ones clothes leads to an unmistakeable feeling of general dirtiness.
After lounging a bit, we headed downstairs, and booked spots on the Singapore Zoo night safari tour. The original plan wasn't to do it tour group styles, but it turned out to be much cheaper that way. The pickup time was set for 5:45, so we had enough time to wander down to Orchid Street, eat, and just be overall really sweaty. I saw some funny signs, and some huge houses with guards.
The zoo was awes - the only downside was that transportation and lining up took up a big chunk of time. Included in the tour was an animal show. This was pretty sweet and I could identify with the captivated little kids. Oddly enough, I enjoyed the otters that recycled cans and bottles the best.
After the show, we headed over to the tram tours through the zoo -- this turned out to be a wise decision, as it started raining decently hard just after we boarded the tram. To sum up the next 45 minutes, I would say that the zoo is totally open concept, and at one point two elephants stuck their trunks in the faces of many.
Later that night, I fell asleep next to my computer, which was loading Clerk's the animated series.
No comments:
Post a Comment