On the transatlantic flight over to KL, I watched the movie Ghost World. During my first few days in KL, I was dreadfully jetlagged and found myself thinking over the various movies I watched on the plane. This is probably why I noticed that there was something suspicious about the popular toothpaste brand "Darlie." I remember in my jet-lagged stupor wandering around the hyper-market Marcato and fixing my eyes on the toothpaste logo... flashes of the Cook's Chicken poster from Ghost World raced through my mind.
(source: Wikipedia) "Wait a minute," I thought to myself "... is that... 'blackface'?" I was quite thoroughly perplexed. There's no way that a major brand would continue using that logo if that's what it referenced. So, once I got over my jet lag and could properly think, I did what most info-seekers do... wikipedia. It turns out, I was bang-on.
Darlie is actually an update name - the Taiwan-based company used to be called "Darkie." Wow. Here's a picture of the logo's transformation, courtesy of Wikipedia:
Interesting, no? So nutters.
No comments:
Post a Comment