Sunday, October 26, 2008

Why I'm ridiculous... a timeline

Friday, October 24. Kuching.
7:30 PM - I realize I don't have my wallet and call Gaya to ask if she can check out the conference room we were at for the Information
8:01 PM - I start eating a Steamboat dinner with everyone from CIJ and the conference
8:30 PM - I realize I'm not having as much fun eating I should be; I'm preoccupied about my wallet. I head back to the hotel to empty out all my things and make sure I dont have it.
9:45 PM - Gaya and Jen drive me back to the center, and my wallet is located under a sofa. Success!
10:00 PM - Everyone is so relieved that we go out drinking.

Saturday, October 25

2:30 AM - I arrive back at the hotel from the bar
3:00 AM - After throwing my things in a pile to the ground, I fall fast asleep.
6:40 AM - My alarm goes off twice, and I give in and stumble to my feet. I'm still drunk? Shower time.
7:00 AM - I hastily pack up all of my things, say good bye to my roommate Serengeh and bring my bag to Jose's room.
7:20 AM - Jose and I squish into the back seat of a pickup truck - It belongs to the friend of Tom, the owner of our hotel. Tom, is sitting in the back between me and Jose holding a bagged shotgun.
11:00 AM - We arrive at an Iban Longhouse community not far from the mountain range that separates Sarawak from Indonesia.
11:01AM - 6:00 PM - Jose and I accompany them, and other indigenous people on a hunt for the elusive Durian... king of the jungle. I realize that it was a bad idea to a) wear birkinstocks in the jungle and b)bring my laptop into the jungle. (To be explained in great detail next entry).
8:00 PM - Arrive back in Kuching. I'm completely exhausted. I'm so tired I could cry.
9:00 PM - Jose and I finish dinner. I'm so exhausted from staying up and celebrating finding my wallet that I lose my wallet in about 10 minutes.
12:00 AM - I fall completely asleep and dream crazy things

Sunday, October 26 2008
9:00 AM - Wake up, refreshed
9:00-11:00 AM - Get ready, use the internet, ask my parents to cancel all my credit cards and debits, and see what can be done about wiring some money
1:00 - 6:00 PM - Jose and I spend the day at Bako Park. Its amazing.
9:00 PM - My credit cards are cancelled, a new one is arranged to be sent to KL on Tuesday
9:30 PM - I return to the restaurant Jose and I were at last night and a waiter recongnizes me as the fellow who looked awful and couldnt find his wallet. He tells me someone found it and its at the police station.
10:30 PM - I retrieve my wallet. The Police confiscate the 30 ringett that was in it, just 'cause. I call my parents to see what can be done about re-activating my debit card.

No comments: