Anyways, quick update on my life. Day one of CIJ: Week Two, went very well. CIJ is holding an exhibit at the Central Market Annexe on September 18th, so me and Jose spent most of the day researching for that. The exhibit is called "Black and White, and Not So Black and White" and is a showing of some of the major amendments to the Malaysian Constitution since 1963, and well... some of the not so major amendments. The idea is to post up the changes on the wall on A4 paper and have visitors vote on whether the original Action or the amendment is better. A really interesting idea! Gaya was saying that the idea is not to make a statement but rather to just put it out there. So pretty much, I spent the day trying to find out out as many amendments as I could. Haha I couldn't find too many using Google alone, but nevertheless learned quite a lot. For instance, I actually never really appreciate the extent to which being Malay is fundamentally tied to religion. I mean, I understood that Malaysia is officially an Islamic state, I just never really understood how much Malay and Islam go hand in hand. In reading some online writings about the Malaysian Constitution (mainly by Shad Saleem Faruqi) I've come to realize how big of a role this has played in the country in the past 50 years.
So that was my day. However! It's also important to note that I took a bit of time off to run to the corner and pick up a Lotus Paste Bun (Figure 1, below)
No comments:
Post a Comment