On August 31st 1957, the Malaysian Peninsula gained independence from Britain, but Sabah and Sarawak, they were still under British rule until September 16th 1963. So some Malaysian's feel that tomorrow is National Day. However, I'm thinking this is a touchy subject -- I was reading a random blog entry I came across, where one blogger commented :
"hmmmm… it is not wise to argue on this la…".
Anyways, over the weekend, a number of controversial things happened. Things that are best summed up by a screenshot from Jeff Oois blog, Screenshots.
A few notes of explanation: Raja Petra is the editor of the website/blog MalaysiaToday, known for being very critical of the government. According to a little wikipedia mission, RPKs stated goal for the blog has been to "test how far Malaysia under its new Prime Minister can honour, respect and tolerate free speech." The site was blocked in Malaysia for several weeks, before being unblocked a couple days ago, after which the editor was detained under ISA;Tan Hoon Cheng is a journalist for Sin Chew Daily who reported racist remarks made by a politician; and the Show cause letters are for reporting the story.
As for exactly what all this is leading up to tomorrow? I'm not sure all of the details, but apparently former Deputy Primier turned Oppoisition Leader Anwar Ibrahim has been making threats about staging some sort of coup?
In any case, this little Aweir is totally safe in this 24 scenerio, but it should be quite the interesting development!
2. Apparently bribing is necessary if you are a teen doing your driver's test here.
3. One can buy Pocket Sandwiches
4. I can make friends with creepy plastic guys that are just slightly reminiscent of the Great Gazoo
5. You can see our apartment from the KL Tower.
No comments:
Post a Comment