Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stealing Wireless at 18 Stories

I write this from the rooftop of 38 Bidara Condiminiums. As the title suggests, I'm at the top -- well, maybe 1 quarter of the way to the top -- of KL, and I'm surfing the net. To my left, KL Tower is looming, as it is want to do, and in front of me the Patronas towers are hidden behind the top few stories of Hotel Istana. To my right: seven or eight malls, some amazing food, and some scary food. It has been yet another busy few days. This weekend is the Freedom Film Festival at the Central Market Annexe. I went with Jose last night to check out a short documentary on Islam and freedom of Expression. It was a really interesting film, and it was done quite fairly. There was a long segment of Malay rap, but alas I couldn't understand it. Anyways, it was really cool to see Gaya form CIJ interviewed in it. She got quite the laugh when she said that the first thing that Malaysia should do is scrap the "Truly Asian" advertisement. The venue in which we watched the movie was a small room with a projector, pull down screen and plastic chairs. At first I was very surprised by the small size of the room, but found it very cool to be part of such a small community group -- but alas i was quite wrong. Turns out that the main theater was full, haha so we were in the spillover theater. After that, we headed to the club district and went to a bar called The Beach. My initial reaction was a strong comparison to Crocodile Rock in Toronto -- a much older crowd and early 90s music. However! What set this apart was the live band. I think its safe to say it was a motley crew of performers. It had three singers -- one woman who looked exactly like Tia Carrera in Wayne's World, another woman who looked and dressed exactly like Rufio from Hook, and a Malay hip hop singer. So I very much enjoyed that -- it seemed almost surreal. Especially with the tank of baby sharks above the bar. What I found a little weird was the staggering number of old white men with young skinny Chinese girls. hm.
Anyways, it is looking like tonight will be an intense post-ramadan food extravaganza (I don't know how I feel about that word) and another trip to the Annexe to see tonights movie. Below: The view from up top; some interesting roof wildlife; and a snippet frmo last night's movie


No comments: