I was sitting in the Crystal Jade restaurant at Pavilion mall the other day, finishing up a report for my directed readings course while snacking on some fried bean curd and chili. While I was typing away on my laptop, wearing headphones, the rest of the restaurant was looking to my right. The Manchester United/Chelsea game was showing on a screen at the other end of room, and people were going nuts. Not being too much of a soccer fan, I was only slightly paying attention, concentration hard on finishing up the report (this proved to be a bit difficult, as a british fellow behind me continued to shout "Roooooney! Come on Rooney!" every few minutes). Anyways, during one of the commercial breaks, there was quite a long ad for McDonalds that I found really really interesting. I was hoping to post it up here, but couldn't find it online. The ad went like this: A little boy is sitting at home looking bored in front of a stack of books; it cuts to a few more scenes of him looking somewhat distraught, including one of him sitting with his head in the fridge. Finally, he calls his dad, who is stuck in traffic. "I'm suffering!" he tells the dad, "I have work to do, and its hot."
"Well, why don't you eat something?" the dad responds.
The kid makes a face. Finally it cuts to the dad arriving home. At the door, he leans in towards his son "Did you fast all day??"
The little kid nods. The dad smiles, congratulates him, and slowly brings up a bag of McDonalds in front of his face. And that's it! That's the whole thing! Such a huge difference from their North American advertisements. I found it really quite interesting, because I've often wondered lately how well fast food chains like McDonalds and KFC do during Ramadan in countries that have large Muslim populations. Hm!
Anyways, since I couldn't find it, here is the first ad for McDonald's ever. It's creepy. Enjoy... I know I did. And if you're bored, I suggest looking up "Kinder Surprise 80's advert". It is really quiet terrifying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment