Monday, September 1, 2008

Pudu Prison; Why I Want to Explore it, and Why This Can Never Be

Okay, after a day of exploring the colonial district of KL, along with Little India, Jose and I needed to transfer from the Light Rail Transit system to the KL Monorail at Hang Tuah Station. To my surprise -- as we climbed the steps to the monorail station, there came into view a large dilapidated prison below the station. For a reason I'll never understand, I've illustrated this in a happy little cropped KL transit map, below:

Anyways, I spent a bit of time gawking at the building's overwhelming creepiness. Not satisfied with the mystery of seeing the walled up complex, I went over to a little convenience-stall in the station to ... inquire about it. The man at the register was quite nice, and eager to explain the situation. Being as fresh as I am to KL, I had a bit of a hard time understanding what he was saying. What I did get was this: 1) It's a closed down prison, built in the late 1800s, 2) It never really housed murderers, moreso drug addicts and thieves 3) a lot of people were hung there, 4) (most importantly) Its haunted. Amazing.
I took a couple of photos from a distance, the best of which I think is:


We hopped on the Monorail and started back towards Raja Chulan Stn. Alas! To my chagrin, I spotted that entrance of the building is still very much in use as a police station, and according to later wikipedia research, while the prison was opened up briefly as an alcatraz style museum a few years ago, it is no closed to the public. It's also being used to temporarily house prisoners. Darn! Sacrébleu!

No comments: